Plump and juicy cherries are one of the favourite ingredients of bakers and pastry chefs around the world. This sweet and tangy little berries stand out for their ruby red colour that is quite attractive.
Rich in vitamins A and C, zinc, iron, copper and manganese, the West Indian cherry can easily be grown in your backyards, both as a fruit bearing tree or a decorative plant. There are plenty of leaves and small fruits on this beautiful plant that spread as vines. You can enjoy the fresh cherries as it is or prepare tasty wines or pickles as well.
Cherries are known for their great nutritional values and are considered a super food. They are a storehouse of antioxidants as well.
While cherries are mostly used in preserved forms, the West Indian variety can be had as it is. Fresh cherries are grown aplenty on the vines throughout the year. Small saplings cut from the branches could be used for farming after the roots have been grown. The West Indian cherry can be planted in soil that is not a swamp. With organic manure and frequent watering this variety would begin bearing fruits within just a year itself.
These are some health benefits of including cherries in your regular diet:
• Cherries are loaded with melatonin which induces sleep.
• Those who are trying to shed some extra flab should include cherries in their regular diet. Cherries that are low on calories contain high amount of vitamins. A cup of cherries just supply 100 calories.
• The level of the sodium and potassium in the body could be regulated by consuming cherries that have lots of potassium in it. It also helps control the blood sugar levels.
• The antioxidants in it reduce chances of strokes and heart ailments.
• The nutrients in cherries help your skin look soft, supple, and radiant. Grind a cherry with a pinch of turmeric and a teaspoon of honey. Apply this mask on face and wash off after 10 minutes to remove dark spots.
• The vitamins B and C in cherries are great for the health of the hair follicles. It helps reduce hair fall.
• Cherries, that are alkaline in nature, are an excellent remedy to ease ingestion, acidity and other gastric problems.