Smoothies prepared with vegetables or fruits are store houses of vitamins and other essential nutrients. It is an ideal drink to avoid dehydration during the blazing summers, and the fibre rich vegetables or fruits would ease the digestive process as well. Those who do not like vegetables can add a fruit or two while preparing smoothie.
Here are some of the health benefits of tasty smoothies.
• Those who are on a diet to shed some extra kilos can replace a meal with a super delicious smoothie. It has fewer calories and also makes the stomach feel filled.
• Choosing seasonal vegetables to make smoothies would help save money. Besides, it would be easier to choose fresh vegetables as well.
• Try to choose different vegetables as the vitamins too would be different in each. The body needs a well balanced supply of vitamins and nutrients.
• Do not pass the smoothie through a sieve after blending the fruits or vegetables in a blender/smoothie maker as it would lose all the essential nutrients. It is ideal to drink the smoothie as soon as it is prepared.
• It would be more delicious if fruits are added in a smoothie more than the vegetables. A glass of smoothie should contain 60% fruit and 40% vegetables.
• The body easily absorbs nutrients after work out or exercises. So fitness enthusiasts can consume smoothie half an hour after working out at the gym.
• Vegetables like palak, celery and cucumber are excellent to make smoothie. Water, yogurt, soya milk, almond milk or tender coconut water could be used as the liquid base in smoothies. Bananas, apples, grapes and mango smoothies are delicious and healthy.
• Blend a tomato, pomegranate, peeled carrot and half a beetroot in a blender/smoothie maker; this smoothie which is rich in anti oxidants can heal dried skin and leave your skin fresh and younger looking.
• A healthy smoothie which helps to improve the immunity of the body can be prepared by blending 5 celery sticks, 5 bunches of palak (spinach), 1 cucumber and 1 orange.