Overeating often leads to overweight or obesity which may adversely affect the overall health of an individual. A well planned and healthy diet, coupled with extensive workout regimes is necessary to keep a check on your body weight. Even a slight change in this regime would bring back all those extra kilos that you have already shed. It is important to understand the relation between food - bodyweight - workout and prepare the mind and body considering this.
As a beginning, one should cut down on the foods which are energy dense. Fatty food and sweets should be avoided and fiber-rich food items should be included in your daily menu. There is a common belief that fats in the food are responsible for obesity, but the fact is that consuming carbohydrate-rich food makes you gain body weight. Soft drinks, fruit drinks, iced tea, and vitamin drinks which have high sugar content play a major role in making people overweight.
Fast food which is cheap and easily available could also result in obesity. Lack of exercise has led to obesity and other health problems in both adults and children.
Follow these simple rules to keep away obesity:
• Go shopping only after having a meal. Do not go with an empty stomach.
• Always buy food items which contain less quantity of fat and sugar.
• We may be drawn to eat some food items, especially sweets, regularly if we see them. It is always good to store them inside a cupboard from where it would be impossible to see.
• Carry home-made food whenever you go outside. Promise yourself that you will not eat food from outside.
• Always eat at a particular place in your house. For instance, instruct everyone in the family that food should be eaten only at the dining table.
• Portion control is significant in fighting obesity. Use small plates and bowls to serve food. Do not go for second helpings.
• Leave the dining area as soon as you finish the meal. Having light chats on the dining table may provoke you to take more food.
• Eat healthy snacks or salads from home before you leave for a party or a wedding reception.
• Always eat at a fixed time. If you skip one meal, then you may overeat the next one.
• Try to be active always. You may have a tendency to binge on unhealthy food when you are bored.
• Eat slowly by chewing the food properly. It would take up to 15 -20 minutes for the brain to receive the message that your stomach is full. So avoid eating while watching TV or reading books.
• Find people who are trying to lose weight and exercise as a group.
You may not be able to follow all these rules at once. Start one at a time and follow it.